Please note: Some of the links below lead to pages in German, as work on the English version is still in progress. We apologize for the inconvenience.
All buildings of the university are wired in a structured way (with constraints at the tower building at the Augustusplatz). Almost all rooms have ethernet network sockets.
We recommend the following sequence:
- Get a JGU account, if you do not already have one. This enables all members of the university to:
- use a mail address of the following form: firstname.lastname@example.org
- use all services of the Data Center from outside of the campus (at home, on conferences ...).
- Check if the socket is activated. To do this, please fill in the following → application form for activation of a network socket and send it off.
- If the socket is already activated, you will be notified about this in the lower part of the answer to your application.
- If the answer states that your application is being worked on, then a member of staff of the Data Center still has to connect your socket to the campus network. After that has happened you will be informed about this via e-mail. The following steps may be approached beforehand:
- Find the address of your network card.
- If necessary, install the network card inside your device.
- Connect the network cable of your device with your wall socket:
- cables and other network components are available at the helpdesk and may be payed with the copying card of your institúte (Schomäcker card, for university members only).
- Proposal of a name and registration of the physical address in order to receive an IP address for the device: → application form for an IP address.
- Configure the device for use at the university: obtain the IP parameters automatically from the network. In order to check this, please see → server addresses for computer configuration.