The ZDV offers various free options for accessing the Internet and the university's internal network. This applies to computers and end devices on campus as well as via network connections from off campus. For this purpose, we operate an area-wide wireless LAN on campus as well as a high-bandwidth wired network.
The connection to the Internet is made via the Rhineland-Palatinate scientific network WiN-RP, which is also operated by the ZDV and connects all universities and universities of applied sciences in the state via a 40 GBit/s ring to the global exchange point DE-CIX in Frankfurt.
Here you will find your options of net access on campus - and also from outside of campus via network connections:
- Eduroam: we recommend using this encrypted WLAN via the international educational roaming service for users in research, higher education and further education
- Network access (cable) in public spaces: wired network access on campus.
- Network access at the workplace: everything you need for PC workstations on campus
Please note: in case you are using Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7 we recommend using the → firewall integrated into the operating system. We would advise against installing an additional firewall software.
→ WLAN - further information: band width, cost etc
- Net access (via cable) in public rooms: tethered net access on campus
- Net access from PC workplaces: all necessary information about PC workplaces on campus
- Net access from outside of campus via VPN: work inside the campus net from anywhere
- Remote desktop: working from an off-campus workplace
Instructions for non-Windows operating systems may be found within the collections of documentations specific to the following operating systems:
|Mobile devices using Adroid
|Instructions for the macOS operating system (in German)
|Instructions for Unix Operating Systems